Through its esteemed Certified Ratings Programs (CRP), HVI provides a voluntary means for the residential ventilation manufacturers to report comparable and creditable product performance information to their customers. HVI ratings are based upon uniformly applied testing procedures and tested by independent, third-party laboratories.
Basic Steps to HVI Product Certification
HVI product certification can be obtained only after certain requirements are met. Companies interested in testing products with the intention of obtaining HVI certification are encouraged to become familiar with the testing requirements and fee schedules. After reviewing the HVI Procedures, a manufacturer should contact HVI staff for clarification as needed. There is a great deal of information provided in the HVI Procedures and manufacturers should review it all carefully to ensure no unwanted surprises occur along the way.
Manufacturers must determine if HVI has a CRP for their products. Currently, HVI has CRPs for the following product categories:
- Bathroom exhaust fans
- Downdraft kitchen exhausters
- Dryer exhaust duct power ventilators
- Energy recovery ventilators
- Heat recovery ventilators
- Inline fans
- Integrated supply and exhaust ventilators
- Kitchen exhaust fans
- Kitchen range hoods
- Powered attic ventilators
- Remote exterior mounted ventilators
- Static vents
- Utility room exhaust fans
- Whole house comfort ventilators
- Manufacturers must decide if they would like to participate in the CRP as a member or non-member. Membership is not required, but is typically more cost-effective as the fee structures are different between members and non-members. Please refer to the Membership Services section of this website for details on membership requirements.
- Manufacturers must contact an HVI-Designated Testing Lab to arrange for product(s) to be tested. Testing labs operate independently from HVI and from all manufacturers. Before testing is performed, the company should clarify to lab personnel that it expects to request HVI certification. Manufacturers planning to submit products for ENERGY STAR® qualification must be sure to notify the lab of this in advance of testing as well to ensure that all required tests are performed. Manufacturers are encouraged to join HVI prior to proceeding with testing as labs may offer discounts to HVI member companies.
A listing of HVI fees can be found on the Annual Dues, Fees and Assessments page.
A listing of the fees charged by HVI for processing ENERGY STAR® submissions can be found on the ENERGY STAR® Administrative Fees page.
- Manufacturers must contact HVI staff to obtain necessary forms and detailed instructions for the submission of product performance data.
HVI Certification Program Policies and Procedures
Click here to access HVI's certification program policies and procedures.