The Healthy Air Research and Certification Authority (HARCA) was established in November 2015 as an affiliate of the Home Ventilating Institute (HVI). HARCA is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization and contributions to the organization are tax-deductible.
HARCA’s mission is:
- To promote public understanding of the benefits of healthy indoor air and to promote the understanding of devices and methods that improve the quality of indoor air;
- To conduct research and to promote research involving the improvement of the quality and functional usefulness of devices designed to improve air quality and energy efficiency;
- To evaluate and certify the performance of air quality improving devices and to educate the public on underachieving and potentially dangerous devices
To this end, HARCA works collaboratively with HVI on a variety of projects including:
- Providing oversight related to the ongoing ISO/IEC 17065 accreditation of the HVI-Certified Ratings Program to ensure the rigorous requirements related to risk assessment and impartiality are met;
- Conducting regular industry research to identify programmatic violations and working with manufacturers and distributors to correct the violations;
- Working with HVI and other industry partners to identify, fund and administer or arrange for the administration of research projects designed to further the mission of HARCA.
HARCA Board of Directors